Thursday, June 24, 2010

A quiet getaway...

Today.
So far.
Has been a gift.
Last night one of my best friends had a baby. A beautiful little girl who looks just like her mamma.
I decided when I woke up that nothing was as important as driving to see this new little baby. So I closed my office and drove.

... the weather is perfect today. Not a cloud in sight. Warm temperatures. A perfect day for a drive. I love the drive to Fergus Falls. I get to drive through Vergas and wind my way through the streets of little lake homes sitting in between two large bodies of water. I get to see green trees, groomed fields, lakes and streams. But better yet. For today. I get to see a new baby.

I drove my mom's car today and normally I would not have chose to do so because there is no air conditioning, but today it seemed like a great idea.

While driving I noticed different smells which I guess I suppose I have never noticed before because I always have my windows up. It was neat. I don't have any other words better than... neat.
I would whip past a lake and get the wonderful fresh smell of the water. I would drive past Goodman's market and smell the fresh baked bread. I passed a resort and got a whiff of a campfire. I didn't even mind when I went flying by the dairy farm and got that smell. It reminded me of when I use to read those scratch and sniff kid books, where there was a distinct smell to go with each special detail.

I laughed on my way past Vergas because I was listening to 97.9, a radio station out of Park Rapids that only plays music from the 40's and 50's. A cute song was on about how much a girl was in love with this guy and it had a great beat to it. Anyway... while I was humming along like I knew the song I looked up to see a group of horses standing with their backs against me and I kid you not! Their tails were "wagging" exactly to the beat of the song. It was priceless. I laughed!

I finally made it to the hospital after an hour of peaceful driving. The new mother looked amazing! So content. So in love. The new dad stood in the back looking as proud as I've ever seen. Grandpa was there too which instantly melted my heart... and then I saw the new baby.
... I cried.
I couldn't help it. What a beautful gift to see your best friend so happy and in love and to be able to see this amazing new person that they created. It was breathtaking. It was beautiful.
Grandpa giggled at my emotion which made me feel a little better. But I am in awe. I am just an outsider to this new family and I am already in love with her. She is perfect. She has a great mother! A great father! A great family!
Nothing after that moment can ruin my day. When you see a little gift from above like that you have no choice but to realize how great life is.

... So I guess I am leaving today with a little lesson learned. Always take time to go for a drive. To enjoy the smells and sights around you. To go visit the people you love. And to be thankful for the gift of life. What an amazing thing we have!

....... Congrats to the new mommy and daddy! XOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment