Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Home is Where the Heart Is.


There are a lot of things that feel like home to me.
The sound of loons on the lake.
The smell of sage.
Seeing the mountains again for the first time in months.
Being with the people I love.
Picking out new plants to bring home and take care of.
Driving down Eagle Lake and realizing that this is one of the best places I have ever been.

But more recently I am experiencing the feeling of "being home" vicariously through my sister.
She has recently graduated high school and within hours of receiving her diploma she packed up her car with all her belongings and moved to Minnesota. I felt a kindred spirit to her experience because I had done that not too long ago. Probably longer than what it feels, but I still know what this feels like.
It had worked out that for the summer one of our older cabins was going to be sitting vacant. So without hesitation I offered the cabin to her hoping that she could make it "feel like home."
It is so fun to watch her get excited about decorating her first place, or to see her excitement in picking out her first set of kitchen towels, flower pots, candles, and fresh flowers for her kitchen table.
.. I love that she is choosing to make her home here, on the lake.... I love how she is putting her whole heart into making her home hers....
She is so inspiring in so many ways. And I love being able to share her excitement with her.
Minnesota should feel very grateful and honored to now have a new member of its clan and I feel the same to be able to call Minnesota my home.
... because this is where my heart is.

No comments:

Post a Comment