Saturday, June 5, 2010

And were off!


This morning:

I had to leave the resort by 8 am. No earlier. No later.
Jake was going to "attempt" to put in the pontoon lift but figured I would be too much of a sissy and worry wart to watch. He thought it would go better for him and myself if I left.
So I left.

It's raining this morning. Which is kind of a bummer seeing as I have TONS of weed whacking to do, but not much I can do against mother nature. So I ventured out to Frazee's city wide rummage sale. For being a smaller town I am often surprised at the people that come out for events like this. Downtown was packed (well granted it is only two blocks long!) and down every side street cars were lined up bumper to bumper.
I figured I would look around since I was banned at my own resort... so I wandered around for an hour or so.
I was at the last house when I looked up to see some familiar faces. I thought hard for a good second as to why they looked so familiar when then it hit me! THOSE ARE THE RESORT GUESTS THAT WILL BE CHECKING IN TODAY!
... caught off guard I pulled my hat down over my eyes and high tailed it to my car. Almost as if I was nervous of what they would think if I was shopping rather then getting their cabins ready.
... keep in mind that I had already taken care of that two days ago.
I rushed home in a frenzy to somehow make myself feel better as if I needed to be there only to sit around until check in time rolled around (5 hours later)

... Long story short. The pontoon lift still sits. Not in the water. That sucker is way too heavy even for my super strong boyfriend to put it in. (No. he did not pay me to say that!)
And the resort guests just checked in. Early! I might add. The first guests of the season.
It is always this time of year where I have to adjust to a new way of life. An exciting one. An anxious one. A familiar one.
Exciting because I get to run my business in its full swing. Full of fun, people, sun, and laughter!
Anxious because at any given moment something could happen that I am soley responsible in fixing. Whether it be a plumbing problem. An explosion of some sorts. No water. Broken motor. Leaky toilet. Or any problem at all. I am responsible. And liable. At all hours of every day until September.
Familiar because I have known this life for a good chunk of my years lived. I came here when I was young and stayed with my grandparents. I use to live in the bar eating candy and swimming on the beach. Familiar because at some point in my younger years I had this feeling that I belonged here. That of all the places I have lived and traveled I somehow knew that Minnesota... moreover... Frazee and Eagle Lake Resort were the places that I would call home. Familiar because even amongst the occasional chaos, the strangers staying in the cabins only feet from my home, and the responsibility that sits on my shoulders... I feel at home and at ease with everything that goes hand in hand with this resort life I am living.
So in honor of the kick off to resort season I hold my coffee mug up and cheers to another great summer spent at one of my favorite places on Earth....
EAGLE LAKE!

No comments:

Post a Comment