Sunday, July 4, 2010

My Independance Day.

Last night it stormed.
It kind of felt like as if someone picked up little ol' Frazee and put us on the gulf coast and we were being hit by a hurricane. It rained! And it really really really rained.
It was Kathrine's graduation party last night which started at 5. All day yesterday it had been 90 degrees with what felt like 100% humidity. It was the kind of heat where if you just sat outside sweat would bead down your face and back. Needless to say, because it was both check in day and the party... I made it properly dressed in my sweaty ball cap and sweaty clothes for the party.
Anyway, at 5:30 the rain started. All of us shoved our bodies into the little screened in porch until the rain passed. It would break up just long enough for us to go back outside and then get poured on again.
Long story short. It rained almost 6 inches. So when I woke up on this blessed holiday of ours I got to show off my independence by playing manager and taking care of the numerous "gifts" or as I call them "problems" that this crazy northern monsoon created. I call them gifts because I suppose you can't be negative on a holiday!
Gift #1
It rained so hard that this morning right when the office opened, cabin #9 came up to tell me that their cabin was totally flooded. Standing water in the entry way. Standing water in the cleaning room. Standing water in their bathroom, kitchen, and bedroom.
...(I told you it was a flippin' monsoon!)
So I had to figure out how to handle that. Jake went into Perham to find me a rug doctor... which ended up a hassle too because the store was closed for the holiday so he trekked cross country to get the key to the store to grab the rug doctor. After 2 hours of sucking up water and $89.09 spent on fans and 1 bottle of frebreeze... it is "handled" for right now.
Gift #2
I didn't notice. But Kathrine came and found me to point out that it rained so hard that one of our docks is pretty much under water now. It was a foot above water yesterday... now it is the opposite.
Gift #3
After taking a breather from the morning mayhem, I sat in my office only to have the guests in cabin #8 come in to tell me that their cold water handle doesn't work, let alone their cold water. So...after examining the situation it looked as if I had to pack my self into the ol' Jeep and head into Menards. Luckily I found the part. And I think it is fixed. Or at least I hope it holds up for the time being.
Gift #4
And this is the best one yet! My port-a-potty was delivered today! Earlier than expected! At least one thing went my way on this special holiday!

... as I was driving into Menards I got a glimpse into the way the 4th is celebrated. Every house down Eagle Lake was exploding with people, lights, fireworks, and laughter! And yes there is definitely that here at Eagle Lake Resort as well. I just get to be the one in the background sitting and waiting for the next "gift" to arrive.
It all comes with the territory. I guess this just keeps me on my toes and teaches me important life skills like; plumbing, carpet and upholstery cleaning, and having a sense of humor.

Happy Fourth of July to everyone! Hope your day is filled with laughter, sun, and new memories!
Be safe! And have a beer for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment